Majority of students hate writing college essays. It takes a lot of effort that consumes your time and energy. Not to mention, constant anxiety that you will not be able to meet the deadline or that you will forget about some academic requirement. Yet, writing research papers is a critical part of your college education. So, is there a better way?
At Addy.ai we believe that our Addy writing/research tool can help students write faster, better and more comprehensive research papers and essays. What is the most time-consuming part of writing? It is the manual process of finding and reading all the background material and then organizing the relevant information for your paper. Addy makes this process of collecting, organizing and understanding the key points from any set of documents much easier. It can be just a small number of 100 documents or less, or it can be as big as 5,000 documents or more. The amount of documents doesn't matter. Addy can still summarize, categorize and list content in record time!
Imagine being able to produce more substantive, better-written essays with less time and effort? It is possible, let me explain how.
Below (Figure 1) shows the typical steps for writing research papers (via Research Writing Steps by Write Essays).
Let’s breakdown each step and show how Addy enhances the process.
1. Define the subject of your work. Learn how to accumulate your research abilities and mind resources: This first step of defining the subject of your work may already be defined by the professor, or at least there should be a guideline. If not, Addy is quite convenient for researching various topics of interest to help define your subject of work. It works by simply entering a search query (much like a Google search, see Figure 2). When the search results come back, Addy organizes the data set into an overview that facilitates fast comprehension (see Figure 3). Now, you can easily and quickly research various subjects before deciding on one.
2. Analyze existing literature on your topic. Find books that perfectly fit: For certain academic research papers, it is critical that you do extensive research. Make an appointment with a reference librarian. A reference librarian is nothing short of a research superhero. He or she will listen to your research question, offer suggestions for how to focus your research, and direct you toward valuable sources that directly relate to your topic. Addy can utilize PDF documents and CSV files and organize them as well. However, a certain level of research must be done by reading relevant academic books if it is a scientific or other such research paper.
3. Look online. Do extensive online research and make sure the information is credible: This is where Addy can really shine. By using Addy’s easy interface you can find and collect different online documents related to your topic. Within minutes you will have all the documents read and organized by Addy for you to review and research. Addy provides filters by top words, top entities, sentiments and emotions so that you can find the most relevant documents and its most useful paragraphs and sentences (see Figure 4). This kind of smart text analytics is not readily available in other tools.
4. Generalize the collected materials and make a plan for your paper. Find argument and evidence for your idea: Addy provides a workbench module that helps you organize your collected materials. As you read and research different documents for insights, you can highlight (with your mouse) the most interesting and salient points for your paper. Addy has a “clipping” function that automatically sends the highlights to the workbench with their tags and references for easy retrieval when writing. Now, you can start using the clips to build arguments and evidence for your idea in a simple way (see Figure 5). You can also use the clips to help build content for the different parts of your outline.
5. Produce a strong thesis for your research paper. Support it with an argument system: With Addy, you now have the information to build a strong thesis for your essay and build your argument system. It won’t do all the work for the users, you will still have to do the actual research. However, much of the manual part of researching especially in steps 3 & 4 will be now be automated by Addy’s algorithms.
6. Do not underestimate the bibliography. It includes all the resources you used cited or not: Addy pulls in the links for citations for all “clips” in the workbench (see Figure 6). It makes the manual capturing of the citations much easier with automation. This function alone can save you a lot of time!
Summary of Addy benefits in the workflow of researching and writing college essays.
Addy will not fully automate all elements of research. It augments human research efforts by using machine learning algorithms to read and organize textual data in a way so that people can understand a subject matter faster and better. After all, the act of researching is how we learn. Addy just takes away much of the tedious parts of collecting and analyzing textual information.
The research and writing process is one of the most taxing academic tasks you’ll be asked to complete. Still, the best research papers are the result of genuine interest and a thorough research process. Addy helps you to go through this process with some automated assistance that makes the experience better and faster.